Saturday, September 19, 2009

What can I give up?

I was recently introduced to Linny's blog a few weeks ago by my sweet friend Stephanie. I haven't read their entire story (yet), however one of her blog posts, the one which introduced me to her family, intrigued me; it stayed with me throughout the weekend and throughout the week. I find myself thinking about this post during the day and at night. The post discusses the financial aspect of adoption, from a christian viewpoint of course. I began to think about all the "things" I have, that I owe on, that I "want." Could I really give up these things in order to adopt? What could I give up in order to adopt? As I go over my financial state, I cant seem to think of anything that I could actually give up. Cell phone? Maybe. But my job relies on the ability to contact me at any given time. Cable tv? HECK yeah! We've done it before. But hubby may not be too happy, particularly because it is now football season. Sell our house in GA? I WISH I could. But current market conditions + neighborhood decline + school district demise = NO sell. We've been blessed to have my aunt rent the house.

But would all that enough? I don't think so.

We owe so much... and that is mostly my fault. I've been talking about adoption for about 3 years now. I actually started thinking about adoption way before then, around the time my aunt adopted. So it is deeply implanted in my soul. Yet I continued to procure earthly riches and debt. And now, because of my bad decision-making, I'm semi-drowning in debt. I say semi because I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. However I am planning to go back to school in January so I will probably create more school debt (Bachelors+Masters= excessive school debt). Sigh...

What can I give up? What would I give up? Everything. If it meant I would be able to add to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment