I read a recent entry on the RHFH's blog that crushed me... a little boy, just barely over two was brought in for treatment for Kwashiorkor. He's had several sibling pass away from Kwashiorkor and his chances for survivor are slim. But what struck me were Licia's words: "His dad now has a new wife. She does not want to take care of him."
Wow! How could a mother, regardless whether or not she is biologically tied to him, say such an awful thing. Memories of my past began to flood my senses. Being a step child, I have often wondered how my step mom felt about taking care of "another woman's children." For her, it was a no-brainer (as in she didn't really have a choice. Dad wanted us there. She had to comply). Yet, she attacked step-motherhood with class, sass, and spunk. So often I hear about the evil step-mothers out in the world and I just thank God for the one placed in my life. Don't get me wrong, we had our share of triangulations (bio-mom, step-mom, children), but she still stood her ground and loved us (and probably said some mean and rotten things under her breath LOL) even when things were rough. There were times I felt unwanted, unloved, forgotten not by her account but by the situation that I, as a child, had been placed in. However she showed me that to be wanted is to be cherished ... to be cherished is to be remembered... to be remembered is to be loved. There was no better step-mother out their than her (well there may be, I just don't know them, LOL).
I looked at the little one's face and fell in love. He deserves someone to love him, to cherish him, to want him. I opened the picture, making it bigger on my screen, laid my hands on his sweet, yet sad face and prayed. I cried and I prayed. I wish I could hold him, tell him that not all Mommies are mean and cold (not to say that she is as I do not know her; she cared enough to get him much needed help.) and to smother him with affection.
I so wish he could be a part of my family. As I continue to visit Licia's blog, I will always read for updates on this little one, revisit his story from this past Friday and pray over his picture. I will also pray that God touches the step-mother's heart so that she will see him in a loving light. He is so deserving of a loving home and a loving family. I surely wish we could be that family for him!
Licia, if you see a spike on your blog visits, don't be too alarmed. It's just me... peering over, praying for and loving on that sweet, sweet little face.
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






I read his story also and was just heartbroken. Have you e-mailed Licia to inquire about him? Maybe God has planned for him to be yours...
ReplyDeleteTouching post. I'm going to add you to my blog reading list.
ReplyDeleteBeckyJoie
You know, sometimes that is how it happens. You feel a connection with these kids, and it's unexplainable. I feel bad he is so sick. But you can see he is just adorable!
ReplyDeleteI'd take them all...
ReplyDelete