It always surprises me what people say about adoption and the children available for adoption. I never really know what to say or how to respond. This weekend I was at the salon and we were discussing children and age-gaps among siblings. I stated that I wanted to adopt as I feel my darling son would prosper more with someone he can relate to... someone his own age (or a year or two younger). The comment I received back broke my heart. . . "I don't want to deal with other people's problems. It is said that if you can have your own, that is the best way to go." Really????? Are you kidding me? How sooo sad that people call themselves Christian however know NOT the word OR works of Jesus.
I was, by far, dishearten by that comment. Children are such a blessing (no matter how crazed they get!) and those in foster care, in orphanages, living on the street, didn't ASK to be brought to this world. They were chosen by GOD to be here and to be in their particular situation. God has a plan for them; a plan to use their situation for HIS glory. It may not be what we would have chosen for them, however it is NOT up to us. Perhaps it is to touch hearts, perhaps it is go tell their story... only God knows his plans for them. It was at this moment that I knew my faith smaller than a mustard seed; I knew that I wasn't as "Christ-like" as I should be. At this moment I knew I needed to be more intentional in my reading of the bible, making sure I UNDERSTAND what I am reading and not just breezing through it just to say I have read it.
The only response I had to that comment was "yeah...." So many people have negative feelings towards adoption. So many people feel that the children in foster care and orphanages are far too broken to be loved.. it's like they DON'T deserve a family, to be loved, to be cherished... these children have too many problems. Just leave them where they are.. forget about them... that's how I took that and many other comments I have heard about adoption. LISTEN PEOPLE! Just because it's your DNA doesn't make it "better" or make the child more "lovable" or more deserving of a family. ALL children have problems... there are NO guarantees with children.. biological OR adopted. They are UNIQUE individuals... created that way by GOD. Love them for WHO they are and not from where they came.
But that wasn't the lesson I was to learn this weekend.
As I sat in church Sunday through the worship session, that comment kind of replayed and replayed in my head. I wished I could find the verse that says we are to help the orphans, and the widows. I cling to that verse I wanted so much for my pastor to have words of encouragement for me in his message that day. Unfortunately his words struck yet another cord within me. His message... Get real about Faith.... ummm yeah, I have been trying to do that, Pastor! But it wasn't the title that struck me. It was his first bullet point (we were studying Corinthians): To be a converted (to be Christian), you must be able to see your own sins. You must be able to confess YOUR sins and not compare yourself to others. WOW! This statement, as insignificant as it may seem, seated itself along side the comment made at the salon. WOW! In order to be a true, Christian, I MUST confess my own sins and not compare myself, my Christian walk with the walk of others. In order to be a Christian, I must remove the log from MY own eyes FIRST.
I have always known that, however I suppose it is quite hard to live it. It is easier to see and point out the sins of others than to see your own flaws. It is easier to compare oneself to others around them (be it at work, in relationship, even as a parent). I know have to re-train myself. Focus only on my sin and repent for MY stuff.
hmmmmm... where do I start??
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment