Sunday, August 23, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

I have been contemplating returning to school for some time. It's been frustrating, exhausting and humiliating to say the least, in my current line of work. I don't feel the sense of accomplishment or or any sense of fulfillment. I don't feel that I am making a difference in the world I live in. I feel trapped.

Prior to having little man, my world was all about making the most money and living the best life. I wanted the VERY best of everything. I wanted to drive the nicest cars and live in the nicest house (that last one only recently happened). I chose a career based on the monetary gain it could bring (and the fact that my two best friends were also going into the same field). I really didn't have any interest in the field nor did I even get a degree in it. But I have worked in the field for several years now, clawing my way to the top only to be recently knocked back down to the bottom (by words and accusations).

After having lil man, my whole world was turned upside down. I started to think just maybe I need to do something different. However with a new baby and a husband still completing his Master's, that was NOT the time to make a change. So I continued onward. I left a job in GA for a job in AZ that offered more income... in my current field. I make a decent living but still I am not happy and current work conditions tell me it's time to consider my strengths. And now it's 5 years late and the pressure is on to either suffer through or jump ship. So here I am researching fields again... something I should have done while I was still in college!

Choosing a field is hard, particularly because of the educational requirement and commitment involved. Not to mention the financial aspect. I already have mounds and MOUNDS of student loans that I haven't begun to pay back.Will they let me take out yet another set of loans? But still... something has to change. I have to do something; I have to make a decision. I think what's holding me back at this moment is fear. Fear of failing, of not choosing the right field, of doing all this again and still come out miserable. Fear of being too old to start old (ok I am not old, just feel like I am). I want to take my time and make sure the field is right for me, however I need to begin applying for spring semester since I have already missed the fall deadline. Since I already have a Bachelors and a Master I will most likely cut out most of the beginning classes like math, English and composition. I may be able to get around some of the science requirements but that's a BIG maybe because I don't remember if I took a science class in college. I'm sure I did, but it wasn't biology or chemistry... I think it was more like geology. But I'll have to check my transcript. But I digress...

I want to do something to help people, to help children. I want to have a job that is satisfying and that fulfills me. For you see, I don't care now about the fancy cars (ok, I love BMW's so I may have to get another one ) or the big "baller" house. I want work that allows me help society is some way, shape or form. I want work fulfills me but also allows me to be home with my family with no on call schedules (so a career as a doctor is out, lol), no logging in after hours, no second guessing if what I did will be sufficient enough (this still may be an issue however it's hard to put into words what I meant by this). I want ... peace! Does that even exist in the working world??

Here are the choices I am considering:
Speech-Language Pathology (I have always had interest in this field, not sure why though.. something in elementary school. I think I may have assisted or was up close to a SLP back then and really loved it then)
Occupational Therapy
Social Work (working with children)
Teaching (working with children although the whole teacher furlough has me rethinking this one)
Interior Design (lol, yes)

Competition to get into some of these fields is fierce, thus the nervousness. However it's time... It's time to make a change... which way should I go? What field should I choose? Perhaps it's time to talk to a career counselor.

1 comment:

  1. There aren't enough teachers in the world.

    And my Lil Man could us a speech pathologist. ;)

    ReplyDelete