This Christmas seasons sparked the birth of new traditions for me and my family. Traditions that I hope to continue every year.
On Thanksgiving night, little man and I put the tree up. Ok we do this EVERY year at the same time, however this year I let him do most of the decorating, placement of the ornaments,etc. Once the tree was up and decorated, we sat down to watch to watch the usual Christmas movies: Frosty, Rudolph, Frosty Returns and eat marshmallows. He was soo excited. This to him was a new tradition. He gets to eat as many marshmallows as he liked.
Christmas eve were supposed to start a new tradition as well. We were supposed to go to church, then go home, open 1 gift (PJs) and cook together. However that didn't happen. I went to church by myself as my family wanted to stay at my friend's house. Sigh... maybe next year... Once we got home, a very sleepy little man was placed into his bed and he tossed and turned, half asleep, half awake. I asked him if he wanted to open one of his gifts (the PJs). He thought HE could choose the gift, and after opening his PJs, which mind you were superman PJS with a actual cape, he asked if he could open a gift with a toy in it. Umm, no... he whined, had a small tantrum then proceed to say he was hungry and in a span of 5 seconds. So I decided to go ahead and cook the beef in a blanket (a version of pig in a blanket substituting beef (mini) sausages) I had originally planed to cook with him. He ate 3 sausages from the package (unheated) and then laid down with his dad on the floor, promptly falling back to sleep. Oh well.. at least he has the PJs on.
Christmas morning (EARLY) I awoke from yet another sleepless night ( I have a bad cold so I haven't slept very well) . I wanted to write letters to my family as a way to tell them how I was feeling this christmas morning and since I was already awake I thought that was a perfect time to do so. So I sat at my desk and wrote out 4 letters: one to hubby, one to littleman, one to the daughter of my heart and one to the son of my heart. It would seem to have felt strange to write to non-existing children however it felt quite natural. I felt a sense of accomplishment after writing those letters. I felt I was able to tell what was in my heart and on my mind. I then placed the letters in their prospective stockings (side note: I had purchased 6 stockings a few years ago as they matched the tree skirt. So I had extras :) ).
Christmas morning we let little man dictate when the gifts were opened. He was quite tired from the night before running around outside with his best guy friend at my friends's house. I fully expected him to get up earlier than he did, but he surprised me. He completed his morning routine in record time and met near the tree. Not many presents this year but I was quite happy with that. He doesn't need a lot, yet he wanted sooo very much! And trying to keep within budget and the theme of advent (smile), I was pretty impressed at what I was able to accomplish with relatively minimal money. My plan is to continue down this path in the years to come.
After opening the presents, we held hands and prayed. Little man thanked God for his transformers and his transforming remote control car. Cute. Then hubby said a very tearful prayer, mostly thanking God for our ability to help others and for being together yet another year. I was all choked up on the inside :). Beautiful.
This Christmas was the start of new traditions, new memories. It was a time to reflect on things past, present and future. To me, it was magical... despite all the road blocks...lol.
Christmas was great for me and for my family. I pray that yours was filled with the same.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Thank-you for your post.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you had a wonderful Christmas morning. You husband's prayer must have been very touching, and what your family needed too.
I like your idea of writing a letter Christmas morning. You are such a thoughtful, loving Mother & Wife :)
Mandy (3+3=6)
That sounds nice. I'm glad you had a nice Christmas together.
ReplyDelete