A Christmas Story
by Marla Chantry – December 2000
by Marla Chantry – December 2000
Intentional Living Radio Version – adapted December 2008
Twas the week before Christmas, and all through her mind
Kept running the words, “I’m so far behind!”
Many shoppers were finished, at night snug in bed,
While the best of intentions ran amok in her head.
So much yet to do, but so little time,
Rushing here, shopping there, spending every last dime.
We all had so much, but the world would declare,
“Buy, for it’s Christmas, show your loved ones you care.”
So she cursed at the traffic, spent hours in line,
Lost her patience, her temper and all peace of mind.
Pushing and shoving to get the best spot,
“Who’s next in line?” “I am!” “No, you’re not!”
One day at the mall there arose such a clatter,
She looked toward the noise to see what was the matter.
Two mothers were fighting over one last toy.
What’s become of this season? Where is the joy?
But that didn’t matter, she had so much to buy.
Yet, so weary and worn, and ready to cry.
Didn’t know what to purchase; didn’t care anymore.
Just had to get out of that lunatic store.
Last stop of the day, just as bad as the first.
Angry, she muttered, “All people be cursed.”
She slumped to her car, fed up and defeated.
“Is this the way this time should be treated?”
When deep in her spirit did a vision appear
Of a figure in white, saying, “Peace, do not fear.”
He shone so bright and carried a sword.
She knew in a minute it must be her Lord.
His eyes, how they sparkled, so full of His love,
His countenance lifted on the wings of a dove.
A row of stripes He had etched on His back,
A reminder of sacrifice, a gift for her lack.
“Where have you been? I’ve missed you, My child.
Your days are so hectic, so busy, so wild.”
“Oh, Lord,” I cried, “forgive me, I pray.
I’ve joined the world, caught up in the fray.
My Intentions are good, but I’ve lost the real reason
We celebrate Christmas; this time; this season.
It’s the same sinful nature with each passing year,
Forgetting You, Lord, not willing to hear
Your Spirit calling to draw me to You.
Help me Lord, to know what to do.”
“I love you, My child, and I know your heart.
I’ll never forsake you, I’ll never depart.
As I have loved you, so love one another.
To be a disciple, show love to your brother.”
“More blessed to give than to receive,
This is what My own should believe.
But give the gifts that I hold as treasure:
Love, joy, kindness…and in good measure.”
“Now remember these words at this time of year;
Don’t conform to this world and My voice you will hear.”
Then she heard Him exclaim as He faded from sight,
“Peace on earth, live it now – and show forth My light.”
Twas the week before Christmas, and all through her mind
Kept running the words, “I’m so far behind!”
Many shoppers were finished, at night snug in bed,
While the best of intentions ran amok in her head.
So much yet to do, but so little time,
Rushing here, shopping there, spending every last dime.
We all had so much, but the world would declare,
“Buy, for it’s Christmas, show your loved ones you care.”
So she cursed at the traffic, spent hours in line,
Lost her patience, her temper and all peace of mind.
Pushing and shoving to get the best spot,
“Who’s next in line?” “I am!” “No, you’re not!”
One day at the mall there arose such a clatter,
She looked toward the noise to see what was the matter.
Two mothers were fighting over one last toy.
What’s become of this season? Where is the joy?
But that didn’t matter, she had so much to buy.
Yet, so weary and worn, and ready to cry.
Didn’t know what to purchase; didn’t care anymore.
Just had to get out of that lunatic store.
Last stop of the day, just as bad as the first.
Angry, she muttered, “All people be cursed.”
She slumped to her car, fed up and defeated.
“Is this the way this time should be treated?”
When deep in her spirit did a vision appear
Of a figure in white, saying, “Peace, do not fear.”
He shone so bright and carried a sword.
She knew in a minute it must be her Lord.
His eyes, how they sparkled, so full of His love,
His countenance lifted on the wings of a dove.
A row of stripes He had etched on His back,
A reminder of sacrifice, a gift for her lack.
“Where have you been? I’ve missed you, My child.
Your days are so hectic, so busy, so wild.”
“Oh, Lord,” I cried, “forgive me, I pray.
I’ve joined the world, caught up in the fray.
My Intentions are good, but I’ve lost the real reason
We celebrate Christmas; this time; this season.
It’s the same sinful nature with each passing year,
Forgetting You, Lord, not willing to hear
Your Spirit calling to draw me to You.
Help me Lord, to know what to do.”
“I love you, My child, and I know your heart.
I’ll never forsake you, I’ll never depart.
As I have loved you, so love one another.
To be a disciple, show love to your brother.”
“More blessed to give than to receive,
This is what My own should believe.
But give the gifts that I hold as treasure:
Love, joy, kindness…and in good measure.”
“Now remember these words at this time of year;
Don’t conform to this world and My voice you will hear.”
Then she heard Him exclaim as He faded from sight,
“Peace on earth, live it now – and show forth My light.”
*** wanna listen to it?? Go here! Magnificent to hear the dramatization of this poem!






No comments:
Post a Comment