This is late... but... my little man's PT conference went... ok. Better than I expected actually. I was soo nervous!
For the most part, the teachers didn't say anything that they hadn't already said.
Their biggest concerns:
Sitting during circle time
Following rules
They wrote
[Little man] is a very imaginative child. He is full of energy! [Little man] needs lots of verbal prompting to sit in circle and follow the rules.
We all agreed that maybe they needed to re-institute nap time for him on days they feel that he is a little too emotional after lunch (they say he's fine in the morning but after lunch he gets really emotional and whiney). So from 1-3 he goes to another room for nap. He HATES it... but falls asleep immediately. He misses art and computer time on those days as those are his favorite activities. It's an adjustment for him I suppose.
They also stated that he is behind on letter recognition and pronunciations. I didn'tbelieve or understand that and told them thus. He does very well at home with letter recognition and sounds, for the most part... We do "learning" from the time we get home until it's time for him to go to bed; TV is left for the weekends for him. He loves Starfall (Thanks Mrs. Incredible!). The main teacher was flabergasted, to say the least, and said that she would try to get him to do some one on one with her to see where he really was. I don't think she is doing that... hasn't mentioned it to me.
I told them that there was not much else we could take away or do as far as behavior is concerned. He doesn't watch much TV; we have taken away most of his toys; we have a ticketing system in place, albeit we have a hard time sticking to it; we have house rules and morning and evening routines (I know that the morning routine is NOT followed to the "T"; ugh! Husbands!)
For now we will continue what we are doing. He's learning. He enjoys the Kindergarden workbooks I buy. So we have another conference in February and at that time they will determine the next steps for each student... either to move the forward to Kindergarden or if they need to go to a specially created kindergarden class (one of the perks of the school he is in is that they will not keep the kids back; they will create a class for those that have finished Pre-K but are not quite ready for Kindergarden).
sigh...we'll see what happens in February....
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






THey have to know so much so early. Can't wait to see what they do when I enroll two 4-yr-olds who don't speak English, have no clue what a letter or number is, have never been to a zoo or farm and have never owned a book!!!
ReplyDelete