Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sister Power.. The prequal!

Just so you don't think I have gone crazy and made up a sister, here the picture we gave to my mom for Christmas 2006. Darn.. has it been that long??!???!

And YES my mom is crazy... YES she did take a picture of the picture hanging on her wall (LOLOLOLOL) and YES she carried that darn picture around in her car for weeks before putting it up on her wall. But she was sooo very happy to have a picture of her girls.

The picture was HUGE! I can't remember the exact dimensions. It was taken at Olan Mills. As I LOVE to write (creative writing/poems) , I wrote a poem. Draft after draft I requested feedback from my sisters and they told me to stop making changes and stop cluttering their email boxes!!! ROFL! (I believe their words were "Leave that darn poem alone.. it sounds fine like it is! She's going to cry anyway no matter what you say (I was trying NOT to make her cry)).
Thus after all the Christmas gifts were opened, we presented mom with the picture, AFTER I read the below poem (she started reading it but couldn't continue.... yes she was crying before the words came out of her mouth) *** changing the names to protect our identities ***:

THE CHRISTMAS GIFT

Reflecting on our family’s past

Oh my! It’s been some years

Since our loved one departed and

left us in tears.

Six years it has been

Since his presence was last known

Wow it doesn’t seen that long

Where have all the years gone?

As the years go by we often ponder

if he has seen our many accomplishments.

Does he know what’s going on?

Was he there when Pig graduated?

Was he there when Keke lost weight?

Was he there when Pookie bought her first house?

Was he present on Toot's wedding day?

For these questions, there seems no answer

And we all know your pain

Missing your first love daily

But especially on Christmas Day.

Daddy left us with lots of memories

Heck, we have plenty of tapes that prove

His adventures for his family were

to be unmoved.

His gift of unconditional love

Helps us to sleep at night.

We know that he loved us

Even on the day his soul took flight.

As we celebrate this Christmas, let us reflect

On the many gifts that Dad has left:

A strong, united family

Willing to go to bat

At any circumstance

Laying it all on the mat.

But most importantly, he left

4 beautiful reminders of what love can do.

Mom, in his memory

This Christmas Gift is for you…

We love you Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment