Sunday, November 18, 2007

Give Ye Thanks!

As we approach Thanksgiving, I, subconsciously began to reminisce. I remember Thanksgivings of the past. . . big dinners with families, laughter, talks, cheerful joy. I remember the smells that engulfed the house as my step mom prepared our meal (we usually ate that meal on the Friday after Thanksgiving). I remember waking up on Thanksgiving morning, eating a very light breakfast--cause we were saving room for dinner-- watching the Macy's Thanksgivings Day parade with my sisters and my dad.

I remember we'd excitedly hurry to get dress after the parade went off. We'd go to my grandmother house (dad's mother), to enjoy the fruits of my family's labor. Turkey, homemade dressing, collards, ham, chitterlings (ICK!), squash casserole, macaroni and cheese, fried corn, sweet potato pies, cakes, ... the thoughts bring tears to my eyes and pains of hunger in my stomach. But it wasn't about the food. It was about Family and the opportunity to once again be together. We'd sit and eat for hours, talking, laughing, watching TV, looking through old photos ( we kids hated this moment). Then off to my stepmom's mother's house to once again partake of not only dinner, but more laughter and conversation.At the end of the night, tired, full of more food than we could imagine, we get back on the rode for the journey towards home. Yet there is still much, much more time to spend. As we get closer to home, the excitement builds and the tiredness disappears. Once inside, Daddy would put on the Temptations' CD Give Love at Christmas and off we go to put up the tree!!! My mom and Dad had previously taken us to Things Remembered to pick out our very own ornaments and had our names engraved. We sang, danced, talked and performed for the camera (my dad taped EVERYTHING) as we put up the Christmas tree. The last ornaments to go on the tree were the personalized ornaments.

For us, this was the beginning of the holiday season.

As I reminisce, I am reminded of all the wonderful sounds and smells of my past. But I am also bombarded with thoughts of my future. Although my dad has gone to be with God, I still think of him every day and especially during this time of year. This was his favorite time of the year. I am thankful for his spirit, for his presence in my life, for his unconditional love.
I am thankful for the memories he's given me, for the values my family has instilled in me and the traditions I look forward to passing onward to my own family.
I am thankful for my husband and my son and our daughter who is born in my heart but has yet to make it to our home.

I am thankful for the ability to provide for my family.

I am thankful for my friends, those both near and far. I am truly thankful for two that I met when I moved here. They have made this place warm, friendly and SOUTHERN... and far LESS lonely! I am so thankful to have met two whom I consider to be my best friends! They will never know how much they mean to me, yet I plan to spend a lifetime trying to express this very thought. Thank you A and A for your friendship.

I am thankful for the PAC group who has shown me that love truly is unconditional, worldwide and fun-filled. I love going to this group and reading about the lives of those I have grown to know in just a few short months.

All in all , I am thankful for God's mercy; He allowed me to live one more year.

Give ye thanks for all that He has given you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your story! It was wonderful! I love the part about your dad putting on the Temptations to put up the Christmas Tree!
    (I did make sweet potato pies from scratch this year, that is one of my "Georgia" traditions..!)

    ReplyDelete