On Mother's day weekend as I pursued Ross , I spotted a beautiful plaque in blue and chocolate which read, "Be a blessed mother of children." It made me stop in my tracks, literally. I've thought about that statement for days: "Be a blessed mother of children." The words on that plaque seemed to have been etched in my mind every day since then; they toss and tumble around like clothes in a dryer, spinning around and around ever second of every day and of every night. I have tossed and turned many nights, thinking about those words. Simple words to many yet powerful and meaningful words to me.
One day recently, after dealing with a rather difficult day at work and then having an even more difficult day with little man, I sat at a red light thinking abou motherhood. I thought about the days where he is so loving, so caring, soo beautiful. He holds my hands; he gives great big hugs and sloppy kisses. He laughs hysterically at the silliest things, has the most beautiful smile you would ever see and loves to boogy to old school with his mama with the biggest grin.
Then, there have been DAYS where I wondered what I'd gotten myself into when it came to motherhood. My little one has more energy that the energizer bunny and is quite sassy, mouthy, and down right hard headed. Some days, I cry out WHY me Lord... Why me! I question why I would want 2 more or even IF I want 2 more. What in the WORLD am I thinking?!?!? I can't handle 1, so how am I going to handle 2 or even 3? That day at the red light was no different. I questioned everything... I mean EVERYTHING!
As I drove onward, I hear a voice ever so soft and ever so sweet saying: You asked for this and you are asking for more. hmmm..
I slightly lowered my head and quietly said, yep, I sure did. I asked for this. I wanted to be a mother.
I want that plaque to remind me of the blessings that God has bestowed on me. I need that plaque to remind me that I am not only a mother but a blessed mother.. a powerful, influential woman of God. I won't let the devil still that joy from me...even on those "oh not so joyous days." My son, as rambunctious as he is, is such a blessing; he's one of God's many blessings in my life. Everyday I get to spend with him, every minute of cuddle time, of hugs and kisses, of laughs is such a wonderful gift from God. I love being a mom. I've always wanted to be a mom; I was born to be a mom.
To be a mother is a blessing and I should count my blessings daily. Those data of pure hell are just days that will soon be a part of the past... to be cast into the see of forgetfulness never to be spoken of again. Each day of difficulty should be followed by a day of prayer and thanksgiving because as HE so eloquently reminds me everyday: I asked for this.... I asked for him and I am praying for more.
Lord, teach me to be a blessed mother to my child.. to my children. Help me to see past their stubbornness on those days where they will try my patience (oh and they will!). Help me to resist the temptation to lock myself in a room and bang my head against all 4 walls on days when they are willful and disobedient. I want them to know you, to Love you to grow in you. Help me to teach them, to guide them and to love them more and more each day. Thank you for giving me the heart to love all children, mine and others. Help me to forgive myself when mother's guilt overcomes me. Help me to slow down, enjoy the moment, to stop and smell the roses. I will look forward to the day when I can become not only a "Blessed mother of a child, but a Blessed mother of children." Amen.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment