I posted this in my favorite group a few months back, however wanted to get more feedback. Thanks to all those who responded when posted in my group, and to those that will respond to this blog. I really any and all appreciate all feedback.
As I am thinking through adoption and trying to make sure I am
comfortable and my concerns are addressed, I find myself stuck trying
to figure out how to address some of my (and my hubby's) concerns.
Perhaps you can guide me in the right direction on answers for some
of our concerns. (I am drooling over a trio that are 5 (girl),3(girl) and 2 (boy)from Haiti. For the purposes of this blog I am using them as an example. You already know that my little man is 4. I've asked him how many siblings he wants.. his answer... a LOT! Has been at least 16 (and counting).. LOL.. can't trust the answers of a 4 yr old.. LOL!.)
The concerns are:
1) "Integrating" a new child or children into the house where there has
been an only child for so long. As I am (or was) looking at a trio (or even a duo set), my
family and friends are REALLY nervous that my bio son would feel left
out due to the bond the sibling group may already have. Are there
suggestions, from those that already had kiddos at home before
adoption on how to prepare for us and my bio for a transition from an
only child to a 2-4 child household? How do I make sure my bio doesn't
feel left out? Are there any articles or books that you could
recommend I read?
2). Common or more prevalent issues (behavioral, physical or
emotional). Are there common issues that I should concentrate on? more
than others? What are some of the most common and most pressing issues
you've seen from children adopted from PAC? I have been reading
about anger, RAD, PTSD and about issues adopting out of birth order
and adopting older children that it is freaking me out a bit.. ok, a LOT. Should I read more on these topics?
3). Visiting. Whenever we decided to adopt and it is feasible to
visit, does it make sense to visit often (every 3-6 months) and does
it make sense to take bio child in order to get them all acquainted
and "used to being around each other?"
4). "What if they don't like it with us." This was my hubby's concern. I'm not sure how to approach this one.
5). Time and engery. Ok I am not sure how to "measure" if we have enough time and energy. Heck I am not quite sure I know what this means. I guess personal time and day-time energy? Help with the definition would be great too. How did you determine this? What did you do to combat this?
There were more concerns, dealing with financial. More specifically, how will we to afford 3 more kiddos? What about childcare? Vacations? language barriers? There are probably more concerns however I can't think of them at this point.
Any thoughts on these?
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment