If the answer was so easy as perhaps I would have a come-back already ready for those that ask me. Yet that is far from the truth. I don't know why. I just feel that it's right. The seed was planted many years ago when my brother was thinking of putting his children up for adoption. I considered taking them... then I spoke to my husband LOL... reality set in...(luckily he was talked into keeping his kids). But now, it's almost impossible (to say the least) to shake off. I have tried, believe me! However, I look at my son and think that he deserves a sibling... he deserves someone to play with, to share with, to talk to in his own house. He gets so sad when he and his friends have to part ways. He cried for hours when my husband's niece came for a visit and then left after 3 days and asked for her for days thereafter. He loves being around children his age (and sometimes older)... the joy in his eyes and his smile are indescribable.
Then I remember my own childhood. Although not as joyous as I wish it were, it was still filled to the brim with happiness, for I had siblings. My mom had 4 children --2 boys and 2 girls and my dad and step mom had 2 girls. (My sister on my mom side and I have the same father... thus my dad had 4 girls). I remember the games we used to play with my stepmom and my 3 sisters;I remember the trips to the mountain and to Helen Ga just for the heck of it. I remember playing baseball, kickball, hide and go seek with my brothers and the neighborhood kids. I remember getting whippings (we called it whoopings in the South. LOL!) as a group because one or two of us (mainly my knuckle-headed brothers) would always get into some kinds of trouble. I remember that my sibling relationship was the most valuable part of my childhood. We stuck together (and still do for the most part) through the good time and the bad. We were each other's best friends (to some extent). That's what I want for my son.... the joy of having someone to fight with, to play games with, to run after, to take trips with, to be there when he says "you remember when we. .." But these things do not really justify adopting.
I am also reminded that I was adopted twice, albeit not formally. When my dad remarried, his wife took my sister and I in. She treated us like her own children. She helped feed us, cloth us, mold us into the peopled we are (along of course with my mother) She, in part adopted us. I suspect she didn't have to do the things that she did; she chose to do so. As a Christian I am also adopted by God through his son Jesus Christ. So my ties to adoption run deep yet some will still argue that is not enough.
To give birth to a child is the most beautiful gift god has given yet that does not in turn make you a parent. To give life along with shelter, love, support, money, and the opportunity at success makes you a parent. Both birth and adoption would give me the opportunity to again love and support one of God's most precious creatures.... however to parent a child that is parent less would be the most selfless thing I could do in this world.
Yet that still is not enough. This question, why adopt, deserves an answer yet I haven't one to give. Perhaps the words within my home page picture may suffice:
One hundred years from now
It will not matter
What kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much I had in my bank
Nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be ...
a little better because...
I was important in the life of a child.
Source:Forest Witcraft, "Within My Power", (adapted)
My quest continues. . .
It will not matter
What kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much I had in my bank
Nor what my clothes looked like.
But the world may be ...
a little better because...
I was important in the life of a child.
Source:Forest Witcraft, "Within My Power", (adapted)
My quest continues. . .






What a wonderful blog... it bought me to tears. What a joy it is to have you for a daughter, watching you grow and mature and now, raising a family of your own. I am so proud of you. Don't you give up on your dream. You have such a giving and loving spirit and I know that GOD has something wonderful in store for you. You will be a blessing to your new child. Remember, the power of life and death is in your tongue so "speak life" into this situation and GOD will honor you.
ReplyDeleteamen to that last comment! - i'm lori & my hubby spike & i've 5 kiddos (dustin 21 homegrown, brit 16 domestically adopted, kiara 5 haitian adopted, ruby 4 haitian adopted & karleigh 3 haitian adopted) - spike was not on board for our first haitian (kiara) as we'd a boy/girl & he thought we were done - we prayed & prayed for over a year & then we agreed to take on our 3rd child - then HE's the one that came to me asking to do it 1 more time as this way kiara would have a sibling of her heritage as we're white (spike, myself, dustin & brit) so we adopted karleigh & we were done - we'd adopted both from reach out to haiti (barbara walker) & would highly highly recommend using her to anyone - we're best friends to this day & i help her stateside with placing children & also helping couples in the states by answering questions they've got about their dossier, etc. (all for free!!) - she gave me this pic of a little girl named redeline & i knew it'd find her a home - i truly searched everyone i knew & could not place this precious little one - we were going to haiti to take supplies down the following week & when we arrived who do you think was in the truck with barbara?? yep, redeline (now our ruby!!) - we spent a week with her & love her to pieces - anyhow if you'd like more information on ROTH/barbara walker please feel free to email me at chatterboxls@aol.com & you can also go check out our family blog at http://fromourbunchtoyours.blogspotc.om/
ReplyDeletehope to hear back from you!!
god bless you!
lori
Wonderful! Welcome aboard! I am looking forward to taking my bio-son and his best friend up to Helen before Halloween, they do a 7 acre corn maze now. Next year I hope I can take my girls too!
ReplyDeleteMarta
Hey! So glad you've ventured into bloggity land! I love your site so far - keep us posted (literally) on more adoption news.
ReplyDeleteThank-you for your post!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you... I didn't have the most stable childhood but there was so much happiness generated between my siblings and I. That is in part why I wanted a larger family as well. I wish you everything you dream of!
~Mandy
I'm not one for much chit chat, but I felt conpelled to respond to your "yearning". While commendable to what to share love w/ others, unless you have the energy and resources to support that love I can only recommend "wait" w/ patience. Eventhough Abraham and Sarah were promised a nation from their "loins" it was 20 yrs before Issac was born. Continue to pray for His will and the Lord will answer you.
ReplyDeleteMay God continue to bless you